Monday, March 22, 2010

hello cruel world.

















"hello cruel world" : this is what i would scream out of windows of moving cars to the pedestrians passing by when i was in high school.

i am screaming it now.

we have been put through a huge upset/surprise/excitement. nick and i thought we most likely had a year left in iowa to get our house ready to sale, put up the house for sale, have a baby, become accustomed to being parents, and prepare our minds for the reality that iowa will not be our home. we have loved living in des moines.

on thursday, the big match happened and we found out that nick got a great residency—family medicine at university of utah. we have to be there by june 14th. (let me remind you all that my due date is may 19th, nick graduates may 29th, we have to sale our house, find a new place to live and then make the move). i am freaking out with how much i need to do for each of these things. guess all this stuff will make it so i don't have time to freak out that i am going to give birth to an estimated 8 lb human (one of my greatest fears).

the last few days, we have been working on our bathroom. we have painted, re-tiled parts of the tub, removed the old vanity/toilet/floor, and have placed the tile in our bathroom. tonight we get to grout and put our toilet back in (hurray! i am so sick of having to go to the grocery store a block away to go to the bathroom).

we have been doing a lot of driving around and i have found myself become very nostalgic. i will miss you downtown des moines. sad we won't get to stroll our kid through the streets during the art festival. will miss the sculpture garden, the blue bridges, ingersoll (especially ingersoll live), our neighbors, our friends, my young womens calling (leaders and girls), hopes of my baby sporting a gross mullet and taking her to the horse races at prairie meadows, bobs/mare/emery/baby, our little house, greys lake, living driving distance from nathan/carrie/caroline/rexy/baby, the midwest (we have been able to take a lot of road trips to see places we have never been), the farmers markets all over town, spring/fall time in des moines, and most of all my running trails.

bring it next few months. i hope you are kind to us.

11 comments:

Ang said...

So disregard my question in response to your comment on my blog... got the picture.

How exciting/stressful to know where your residency is, I am so jealous and can't wait to be in your position... but hope to get to stay in Buffalo!

Good luck, you are amazing and will rise to the challenge no doubt!

Kasi French said...

Congrats to Nick! I'm a bit sad as I was going to talk to you about a trip to IA in late June but I suppose I'll have to come to UT to see this little one you deliver with ease ;) Love you.

Anonymous said...

Okay. Here are 9 things to make you feel better:

1. You will be closer to me.
2. The farmer's market in Logan is excellent.
3. You will be closer to me.
4. I like babysitting.
5. I am willing to put on free concerts if you like. They will blow your mind.
6. Running is lame.
7. Road trips to Logan trump all other road trips.
8. I will make you cookies.
9. When I eventually get a boyfriend, you can actually meet him in real life and then make him feel super uncomfortable! (and yes, I will meet him via holding his backpack on the bus - even though I don't ride the bus anymore)

Paige said...

You may not be excited, but all of Utah is excited to have you. And don't be afraid of the birthing process - my labor was pretty long, and it still wasn't that bad - even though some of the nurses I have spoken with disagree with me - so even hard labors are good. You will do great!

Ashley said...

Yea for more chances to see you in Utah - when we come and visit Logan's family!! The match is crazy - seriously. We had everything ready to move to SLC and now it's to Austin. Party. GOOD LUCK getting everything ready - if anyone can handle 50 million things at once it's you! Can't wait to see you and your little BaBy! In May!!

Laurie Bingham said...

Wow Michelle, that is crazy! I can't believe it. I am glad you will be closer:) Now you can come visit me at my house sooner than you thought. And I can meet your beautiful baby sooner than I thought, too! Let me know if you need help with ANYTHING! Good luck.

luv large

mare said...

chelly. why aren't you answering your phone. oh. because you are grouting. i hate grouting and i hate you des moines universtiy and your so-called "placements". now what is to become of zuri and ezra's first attachments?

ah well. in spite of all the sadness, i am super excited for your family and nick's to be by you guys. so much to talk about.. how are you feeling? where are you going to live in utah? can you believe it's only a few months away for us now? seems like yesterday we were accidentally spilling our news. oh i miss you already. call me asap. love you sister.

Jen said...

Well it may be stressful but it definitely sounds exciting. Good luck with getting your house ready for sale and the arrival of your baby. It looks like you have a lot to do, so get to work!

Unknown said...

oh crap. that is insane. for some reason i can't help but feel really sad for you and mare. i guess when i got to see you the other day i realized how much i MISS you guys and how comforting it is to me that you and mare are together! but i am excited you will be closer...let me know if you need help too. i'll take the baby. name it. anything. love you.

Natali Jolley said...

I know how you feel my friend. I am due the 23rd and Bryce has to be in Colorado on june 21st. We don't have to sell a house, fortunately, but we did buy a house and have to get it all closed and cleared away and moved into before June 21st. And I also am freaking out about labor and delivery. Plus, I have been missing Des Moines from the day we left last may. I miss all the things that you said and more. What a wonderful place. You'll be able to get through it! Call me when you need a boost because I will be happy to sing you a song of joy and we can talk about old times playing killer bunnies. Miss you much. Call me you little stinker!

Kelsie + Cody said...

Yay! You guys will be back here by us! I am your favorite cousin right? You may not be excited but I am. I love to baby sit too! especially cute little babies! So excited... Love ya!